Deams come true

Dreams do come true part.2 ( An Interview with Mzilikazi wa Afrika)

I’ve been posting a lot of political stuff connected with culture, today I have decided to change the political mentality and bring something different to the scene, as a child I had dreams of being and having, never knowing and understanding the word possibility, faith and believing in yourself, today I know that with God and believing in the power of your abilities anything can be achieved. One Nelson Mandela's quote states It all seems impossible until it is done ". It is the execution of our dreams that seems impossible or that most frightens us, but when you begin taking those steps towards your dreams everything that seemed vague becomes clear and starts to make sense and every encounter becomes meaningful, I would just like to tell each and every one of you that there is nothing you can't do it has been placed in you.

My electronic encounter with South Africa’s most honored and sharp investigative journalist Mzilikazi Wa Afrika of Sunday Times  has actually made me realize the phrase of “anything is possible”…..!!
“Even in the jungle the Hunters are hunted” is one of Mzilikazi Wa afrika’s quotes where it describes the nature of the life of journalists and this icon has often experienced being hunted for speaking the truth, I had interviewed him with a couple of questions about his life as a journalist and being himself in his humbled character, The village boy who became a true patriot for his country openly responded to the following questions: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mzilikazi_wa_Afrika

Interview Questions

1. Can you express yourself in three words: a village boy.

2. What motivated you to choose a career in investigative journalism?: I decided to be an investigative journalist because I wanted to be a messenger for my people, the eyes and ears of the community; and the voice of the voiceless. For me, being an investigative journalist is part of being a true patriot, someone who will die serving and protecting the interests of his country, not an individual or political party.  

3. Bra.Mzee the pride you have about your hometown and how you address yourself as the village boy, how do you think that plays a role in shaping the person you are and how people view your village now that you are in the Big media arenas?: Growing up in the village where poverty was a deodorant we wore with pride shaped my way of thinking, looking at issues from a different point of view and taught me to be humble and down to earth. I am a village boy, you can take me from my village but you can’t take the village away from me, it is my roots and my history – it made a man out of me.

4. Majority of society has a wrong perception about journalists, how do we begin to rectify that perception?: One bad journalism experience or reporting doesn't  make all journalists bad, same as one corrupt politician doesn't mean that all politicians are corrupt. We, as journalists, need to be accurate and fair in our reporting, avoid being used as blunt instruments to fight factional battles, politically and business wise. We need to be as objective as positive and write our stories without any fear or favor.


5. The fearless man that you are has brought great honor in the field of journalism, but the challenges you face in bringing these life threatening stories to the attention of the public as a matter of public interest and truth, how does it affect your personal and family life in terms of security?: I leave my work at the office and try to be a father and husband when I get home; I avoid talking about my work or what I am doing when I am home so that my family can be at easy and the best way is for my family to read about my work on Sunday like everyone else rather than them living in fear of danger I might be facing.

6. What would be your message to young and aspiring journalists?: There is no glamour in journalism, this profession is not for the fainted heart, you would be hated and called names for exposing the wrong doings and telling the truth as it is.


7. After your arrest in 2010 on the Police Commissioner Bheki Cele's involvement in the R1.7 billion lease scandal, you published a book titled "Nothing left to steal" jailed for telling the truth, what were you telling people in that book, it is touching souls?penguinbooks.co.za/book/nothing-left-steal/9780143538929

8. Bra.Mzee you are a man of many talents which is inspiring, how do you balance your attention because you excel in all of them being a journalist, poet, musician and a Dj it's not every day you come across icons like you?: There is time for everything you want to do if you plan your day or week properly.  Fortunately for me, I don’t drink, after work I go to my recording studio and make music to distress after a hard day at work.

9. I have seen some of Quotes and i have observed even your love, faith and respect you have for the almighty God, are you from a religious background?: I am from a religious family, I wrote my first song when I was 11 years old for our church choir and my elder brother, who is now late, was a pastor. As a matter of fact, my grandfather wanted me to be a pastor too but I told him that it was a calling and not a profession.

10. How is Mzilikazi wa Afrika at home apart from the well admired journalist?: I am a loving father and a caring husband, when I am not travelling I try to spend time with my family, going to the movies or taking a long drive or a walk with our dog in the park.

A critical, independent and investigative press is the lifeblood of any democracy”- Nelson Mandela
And Wa afrika takes the duty of ensuring the blood flow of our democracy in South Africa. In 2001 he was awarded an honorary citizenship by the governor of Nebraska to stay in recognition of his outstanding achievement in Journalism, but this patriot decided to remain in his country and anyone could have jumped for such an opportunity, to Mzilikazi its different view. He strongly believes he can never fix his neighbors roof first, when his own is leaking, this practically means he can’t go to other countries for his skill and leaving the underlying issues that yearn for a brave journalist like this icon. His bravery and courage has inspired me as a young journalist that this career is not about glamour we will be hated and mocked for speaking the truth, but this should not stop us for holding people accountable for their fowl actions, and South Africa is a country that has fought battles for centuries to ensure that we as inhabitants of this nation have equal rights, freedom of action and speech.


Comments